Saturday, June 16, 2012

Sewing Update

My various sewing projects keep me busy in my down time. Which isn't very much right now because I'd rather nap (or go to bed) than spend the quiet time in my house sewing. Now, don't get me wrong, I still do some sewing but I just don't have the same drive to get it done. Although my growing "To Do" list is starting to be drive in itself as the list is only getting longer.

Without further ado, here is where things are at:

Penguin
This penguin was formerly a puffin. I altered the foundation piecing pattern to make it into a penguin. I have done one trial run of the penguin and am now awaiting my sister-in-law to see if she wants any other changes done to it. This penguin will be the center of a baby quilt for my brother's baby, due in September. Needless to say, this quilt has moved up the priority list as September really isn't that far away anymore.



This is the pattern I have to work with. Crazy, perhaps. But it is a different way of piecing that was on my list to learn...of course, that was before my life got super crazy. Regardless, I'm having fun figuring it out and it is a good challenge for me.


Even if it is a good challenge and I'm having fun, it doesn't mean that this little tool isn't my best friend. I don't want to think about how many seams I ripped out multiple times trying to get that blasted beautiful penguin just right.



Backhoe Quilt
Unfortunately for my son, this quilt has been put on the backburner for a while so I could fiddle with the aforementioned penguin. This quilt was really fun to piece but quilting it is proving to be a HUGE challenge...both of my patience and my skill. The appliqué piecing of this quilt was also on my list of things to learn and I found it a fairly easy skill to pick up.

Here is the quilt in the piecing stage. The flatbed truck, crane, dump truck and backhoe were all part of the quilt pattern I bought. I designed the cement truck and roller (not pictured here), just for some added fun. And to appease my 3 year old.


Here is the quilt, all pieced with the quilting started.



A close-up of my attempt at quilting. Trying to quilt curves is more than tricky when working with a whole quilt on a regular sewing machine while using a walking foot. I'm seriously questioning my sanity when I pull this one out to work on. Which is maybe why it still isn't done. Hmmmm.



Occasionally I have a good idea; this time I pieced a machine and made it into a placemat for my 3 year old to use at our glass-topped table. They work like a charm, are easily washed of the inevitable ick that finds its way off the plate and onto the placemat. Bonus? They whipped up fast and were FUN. No frustrations. Just sew and go.





Organize
And for something that any crafter would find useful:



Boxes that zip shut and have handles on either end. I purchased this set of three nesting boxes a few weeks ago and they have become my favorite buy. The smallest one (open) holds all my sewing notions and accessories. The other two boxes house fabrics and current projects. Sooo worth the $20 they cost me.

1 comment:

Laura said...

I'm so impressed, Joelle! I'm sure the boys are in LOVE with the quilt. GOod job!