Monday, June 18, 2012

Birthday Quilt

So, this year, in less than a month, I celebrate my 30th birthday. Other than not being able to believe that I am old enough to turn 30, I have no issues with it. Just another day and hopefully a cake of some kind. But because 30 is supposed to be some kind of big deal and because I really don't like being the center of attention, I decided I wanted to celebrate my birthday in a fun and colourful way that would involve my friends and family I have spread all over the continent.

My mom and youngest sister thought my idea was great and so the Great Birthday Quilt of 2012 was born. Letters were sent out to various friends and family asking them to send me (the birthday girl) a fat quarter (18" x 22") of fabric that reminded them of the birthday girl. Now I not only get to enjoy the anticipation of mail but mail that contains fabric. Not just any fabric, fabric that is for me, bought specifically for me. And then I get to figure out a quilt that will use each and every piece of fabric (the exception being the Superman fabric my brother-in-law bought me... maybe...). How's that for a challenge?

I say, bring it on!

Here's what has arrived so far:



From my friend Amanda. I think this will be on the front and back of the quilt ;)


From my friend Laura. She has such a hard time picking one that she sent me three. What a sweetie!

In order L-R, from my sister Laura, her husband, Jacob, my mom, my other sister Amy and my Grandma Thiessen.


I can't wait to see what will be showing up in the mail the next few weeks!

2 comments:

Laura said...

love it! I can't wait to see the finished product! I would have bought you even more, but the other ones I had in my hand REALLY didn't match the other ones. It took me like 1/2 an hour to decide what to do! :)

Joelle said...

too funny! While it was nice getting a few fabrics that matched each other, the rest of the fabrics probably won't :) That's the challenge... and fun of this quilt! But I can imagine how much fun you had shopping...I know how much fun I'd have doing it for someone else.