Monday, June 4, 2012

Baby #3

Today I went for my first midwife appointment.

Yep, I get a midwife! 

The idea of someone who is going to care for me and form a relationship with me is so appealing. Relaxing. Contented-ing. I just want someone to look after me. I look after my family every day; I like the idea of someone looking out for me while I carry my third child. I'm tired of being numbers: weight, belly measurements, blood pressure, urine proteins and glucose levels. I'm more than that and I'd like to feel respected as another human being.

My midwife went through all my bloodwork with me, point by point. Nevermind that it was all fine; just the fact that she told me what I was tested for and that it all had good results was reassuring. And trust-building.

She asked if I minded being weighed. And then weighed me in kilograms and refused to translate it into pounds, telling me that this was my normal pregnancy weight. Ahhhh.... how refreshing.

But there is nothing as special as hearing the baby's heartbeat for the first time. It sounds the same with every baby but that first time is always so miraculous. And today I got to hear Baby #3's.

And for those who are curious, Baby #3 is due mid-December. And I'm seriously considering delivering this one at home. How relaxing would that be?!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy to hear that you love having a mid-wife!! Good for you. As far as the home birth, I don't think relaxing is the word that I would use, lol. Not for me, but if that sounds appealing to you I am happy that it is an option for you this time around. Mid-wifes and homebirths, a perk of living in the city.