FIVE years ago today, my friend Amy got married. On Vancouver Island. On the beach. With a decadent meal at a very posh restaurant to celebrate. And I was there. I was honoured to be there. I was honoured to be a part of her day.
But there was a slight problem. See, I found out somewhat last minute that I was to make a speech about Amy. This wasn't the problem; Amy is a wonderful friend and I wasn't short of lovely things to say about her. The problem was that I botched the actual speech part. The talking part. I had this wonderful speech in my head and it didn't come out my mouth. Stupid mouth.
It has haunted me for FIVE years.
So today, I want to set the record straight.
I have Amy to thank for my life. Overly dramatic? Perhaps. But my life would not look the same if I had not met her.
She introduced me to the arts: A few weeks into our roommate adventure I ended up attending a sound stage opening with Amy. In jeans. Not only did we feel a bit out of place in the sea of black ties but we forwent the hobnobbing to explore the sound stage. It was epic. Oh wait, perhaps that was a better example of showing me how to be real. In any circumstance. Either way, it made an impression and continues to impact me.
She showed me what it was like to be passionate about something: She loved the arts and was currently taking a film degree at university. She surrounded herself with visual creativity and learned everything she could about filming and photographing.
She helped me be hospitable and generous: She'd bring people home from her church to enjoy the meal I had prepared. We were able to share the little we had and in turn we gained a time of fellowship and comraderie.
She allowed me the freedom to dream: We dreamed of owning an art and retreat center that offered people a chance to relax and connect with different artistic outlets. We dreamed of Bed & Breakfasts. We dreamed of the places we were going to travel to. We dreamed and dreamed. And though our lives may have turned out differently than we had dreamed, those dreams allowed me to start to discover who I am and what my passions are.
She showed me what it looked like to have God in your life: Not overzealous, not fanatical, just a this-is-part-of-my-life sort of thing. A nonchalant-ness that freed me from chains of shame, guilt and expectations. For this there will never be enough words to thank her.
| Doing touch-ups before the ceremony. June 2007 |
It has haunted me for FIVE years.
So today, I want to set the record straight.
I have Amy to thank for my life. Overly dramatic? Perhaps. But my life would not look the same if I had not met her.
She introduced me to the arts: A few weeks into our roommate adventure I ended up attending a sound stage opening with Amy. In jeans. Not only did we feel a bit out of place in the sea of black ties but we forwent the hobnobbing to explore the sound stage. It was epic. Oh wait, perhaps that was a better example of showing me how to be real. In any circumstance. Either way, it made an impression and continues to impact me.
| Me, Ginny and Amy. Spring 2007 |
She helped me be hospitable and generous: She'd bring people home from her church to enjoy the meal I had prepared. We were able to share the little we had and in turn we gained a time of fellowship and comraderie.
| Me and Amy. My wedding, September 2007 |
She showed me what it looked like to have God in your life: Not overzealous, not fanatical, just a this-is-part-of-my-life sort of thing. A nonchalant-ness that freed me from chains of shame, guilt and expectations. For this there will never be enough words to thank her.
2 comments:
Joelle,
This is a lovely post, and it certainly shows off, not only your writing skills, but also your ability to remember things WELL--positively, magically, appreciatively...like you're making things more wonderful thru remembering. Thanks for your words. I should apologize for putting you on the spot for a speech 5 years ago (can you BELIEVE all that I left to the last minute?! Or just DIDN'T do?) I must say, all I remember is that I was so glad for your presence, and YOU (your beauty, your effervesence, your "coming alongside") made that day very special for me. After all, not only were you WILLING to come, you had the means...which also impresses me. Thank YOU for your friendship. This post has stirred up my heart...sometime soon I hope to discuss with you HOW I've been stirred up...and what I intend to do about it! Love to you and your boys...from Amy
Oh, Amy! So many times I have tried writing this piece because I felt like I let you down on your special day. You were such a wonderfully important part of my life and I failed to pass that on to your family and your new husband's family. Other than that, it was an absolute pleasure to come alongside you on your wedding day.
Hindsight has a way of romanticizing things...although I don't think I took too many liberties with the details. You had an impact on my life and I wanted to capture that. I also know that some of those things were little things to you while they were HUGE things to me. Such are the ways life works as people interact.
It's so good to hear from you - I hope we can connect soon!
Post a Comment