Friday, February 10, 2012

A-sewing we will go

My sewing machine has been an almost permanent fixture in our living room lately. I say almost because it does get put away occasionally, just probably not as often as it should. I sewed up some Christmas gifts and I always seem to have a quilt on the go. Lane has enjoyed watching me sew for quite some time now but apparently he has gotten tired of just watching. Now he wants to make it work and wants to do it himself when I am not looking. Which really is trouble on a few different levels. I am slowly learning to check all the settings on the machine before I begin to sew.

One day Lane was messing with my machine AGAIN, so I somehow got this crazy notion that instead of getting frustrated with him I should maybe do something about it (I think my husband gave me a bit of prompting and, as usual, he ended up being right). I asked my 2-and-a-half-year-old if he wanted to sew something. The kid got all bright-eyed and excited. Of course he did. So we sewed something.

The closed eyes are purposeful on his part - my photo-taking skills are not to be blamed. This time.
A bag. For his trains. He pushed the pedal to make the machine go and helped me feed the fabric through the machine. The boy was on cloud nine.

And then he got to pick out a button for me to sew on. Yep, it was a good day.


And then I continued on with my various sewing projects which included a tool belt for Boy #1. Two hammer loops, a measuring tape pocket and a pocket for any other odds and ends, usually his pair of pliers.


I finally got this wall-hanging quilt top all pieced together. There may be a few tweaks yet but I no longer have pieces all over the place just waiting for little hands to mess up.


Next on the docket? A construction zone wall-hanging quilt for Boy #1.

2 comments:

Mom said...

The tool belt turned out great...good job and I like the quilt. It looks like it would have been hard to get the colours right and now I understand.

Anonymous said...

the quilt looks really good:)