Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A little glimpse into our world

Ludicrous, I know, but I thought some of you out there might be a bit bored of Lane populating all the posts on this blog. He's cute, I know but really, is he that fascinating all the time? Actually, he is. We get a kick out of watching him encounter new things - being able to play in the drapes behind the couch, the expressions he gets when he tries some spicy food and the desperation with which he tries to converse with us at the supper table. Really, what more is there to life?



Building a veranda/porch. Jamie is attempting to bring some of the South to the North. It drives him bonkers that our front doors up here don't usually lead to anything, often just steps down to the grass. So, with our house in desperate need of some curb appeal, we are in the process of finishing off a front porch. It is being a bit of a learning adventure for Jamie as he has never done roofing before but he seems to be game to learn.


Gardening. Jamie built a plant stand for starting plants this year. He had never used grow lights before so it is one more experiment that he is trying in this prairie climate. Tomatoes, tomatillos, cucumbers, pumpkins, celery, onions, chili peppers, herbs (and probably a few more things I can't remember) are all rapidly growing in our garage. We have our neighbours commenting on the eerie glow coming from our garage.


He has also been cleaning up the garden plot, getting it ready for another year of growing. He already has carrots, potatoes, lettuce and spinach planted... we'll see when things start popping up! He also helped me extend my flower bed this weekend. I got to plant 12 new lilies and I'm excited to see what they look like.


I've been keeping busy with a variety of projects, work, keeping house, running after Lane. The usual gamut. But I made time to piece a baby blanket for friends of ours in North Carolina. I was pleased with how it turned out as I used a new piecing technique; Jamie was quite thrilled with my "art" and made me take a picture of it. So now you all get to see it too!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like it. It looks fairly simple to do but very pleasing to the eye.