Sunday, June 7, 2009

Yard Sales & Funky Weather

Our weather has gone from this last Saturday....



to this today...



in a matter of one week. I'm not liking it. Neither are my sunflowers. However, the one thing that is still true to this time of year are yard sales. Jamie went out last weekend (while the weather was absolutely gorgeous) and hit about 10 garage sales in one day. Crazy. I stayed home and sunburnt my ankles while rocking my son on my patio swing. But the guy did good - he came home with a bag of clothes for Lane that he paid just a pittance for. The overalls in the picture above came from the garage sale... Lane's first pair of overalls! I love it. Jamie even had the foresight to buy another pair in a slightly bigger size.

I inadvertently found myself at a garage sale this past Friday and came home the proud owner of this...


It doesn't have a Singer sewing machine in it but the machine it came with does work with the treadle. It was altered so that it could be plugged in but apparently the belt should still be in one of drawers. Theoretically, I have a treadle sewing machine! The lady that sold it to me even gave me the various buttons for the machine to make different stitches. I'm not sure how much I'll use it as I am having a hard time finding time to use my regular machine, but it will make a great sewing table for my machine right now. Some day (hopefully soon) I'll find the time to play around with the new old machine. Right now it is in my garage as my husband says the wheels are all rusty and they need to be cleaned before I can put it in the house. Argh. One more thing for me to do! Did I mention that I got this fine piece of history for a mere $25? For all you out there rolling your eyes, yes, one man's junk is another man's treasure.

No comments: