Thursday, July 26, 2012

Just Us

Facebook and blogs are deceiving. Most of us like to show our good sides and hide the bad and/or mundane parts of our life - we show the highlight reel, per se. I'm really no exception to the rule although I do try to give an honest peek into our life.

We all have our moments. The kids aggravate me. They push my buttons and I react disproportionately. It happens. I'm working on it. And in between those times life is just like life in a lot of other houses.

We eat breakfast. Some days it is cereal. Some days I put forth a bit of effort and make something: waffles and syrup, pancakes and bacon, french toast, or, for my southern husband, sausage and biscuits. But it certainly doesn't happen every day.



I do the dishes. Almost every day. Sometimes I'm brave and let the kids "do the dishes" too. They love it and I try not to cringe.



We read books. We're book people so there are always books lying around our house. Kids books (lots) and adult books. Somewhere in between everything going on my husband and I find time to read books...sometimes even the same book. Our kids are developing a love of books too.



The kids whine. I see a lot of this whiny bugger. The kid is so close to talking and is starting to get really frustrated that he can't communicate. Needless to say, there is a lot of crying and whining going around right now.



We play. Some days, like maybe once a week, I manage to get creative with my kids. Last week my oldest was all about the play-doh. Somehow I managed to make a car out of the stuff...



We learn. My husband is great with our kids. He loves to teach them things and they love the time spent with him.



See? Nothing spectacular about our house. We eat, sleep and well, you know, the usual.


But inbetween the normal, mundane, chaotic world of raising kids we grab glimpses of fun, laughter and just darn cute. And we hold on tight.

1 comment:

Laura said...

i love this post, Joelle! Beautifully said. Thanks for being real :) And just so you know, it all sounds very familiar!