Sunday, August 22, 2010

Waskesiu

My dad participated in a triathlon in Waskesiu the beginning of August. We try to see at least one of his races each year and with this one being so close, we had to check it out. 

This race was different than usual; it was longer. That seems an awfully simplistic way of explaining the race but I suppose it is the most accurate. He had to swim 1.5 km (in the lake), then bike 62 km, then run 13 km. His goal was to do it in 4 hours.

Now, I'll be quick to admit that my family can be weird and you may be thinking, and rightly so, that my dad is a little crazy, but I'd just like to mention that there were about 200 other competitors that would take you on if you decided to voice your opinion. And you can't outrun 'em. So we go and cheer him on, learn about triathlons, marvel at the stamina of the human body and secretly wonder if we could do it if we had enough determination. Welcome to the world of triathlons.

I'd usually have a picture to show you of the swim but this time I didn't take one. The picture really doesn't tell you anything. My dad is one of 200 people wearing a wetsuit and a swim cap. You try and pick him out. 

We'll pick up the race with the bike. This is my dad's strongest section; I would venture to say it is also his favorite. He has this fast, very cool-looking bike that he likes to use to make up any time that he may have lost during the swim. It was also a good test for my camera.

After the bike comes the run. Which I can't fathom doing because my legs would be rubber. I'd be lucky to be able to stand after biking 62 km.

But here he is. Off and running.


Dad coming through the finish line. He finished in 4 hours, 15 minutes.


He was exhausted. But he finished, and he finished well.

Way to go Dad!

No comments: