Sunday, April 19, 2009

Our Sunday Afternoon

What do your Sunday afternoons look like? Lately ours have been pretty low key as once we have our Sunday afternoon nap, the rest of the day is pretty much shot. However, today was the exception. It started out great - Jamie, Lane and I checked out the local trade fair where we were able to sample some Nipawin wares, which included a decadent white chocolate cheesecake and pickled garlic tops. We also stopped at the local realty booth and perused the pages of properties for sale, dreaming that we would find our ideal acreage for our ideal price. It didn't happen, but we did find a property that looked promising. A 120 acre piece of land that was only 5 miles out of town. On our way home, with our child sleeping in the back seat, we decided to go check out the aforementioned piece of property.

Have I mentioned that the snow just recently melted? And that it was white out when we woke up this morning? And that it was still snowing/raining when we left for church?

Well, we found what we thought was the gravel road that our promising piece of property was located on. The gravel road quickly turned into a mud road. Yep, MUD ROAD. Have I mentioned that we own a two-wheel drive Dodge Grand Caravan? A great family vehicle for the long highway trips we make to see family and friends. Not so great for mud roads. Even worse for trying to turn around on a mud road. But the field adjacent to the mud road looked dry so my husband decided to turn around in the field. Not a bad idea... unless the field is just as muddy as the road. Which this field was. Do I need to say anymore?

To add to the adventure, we had no cell phone and nothing to improve traction. We did have our 3 week old baby along with us. Oh, and the closest farm was at least 2 miles back down the road.

It was a lovely walk. The sun was shining, a slight breeze kept us from overheating and the smell of cow manure kept us pointed in the right direction.

By the time we got to where the mud ended and the gravel began again we could just make out our red van; by the time we got to the farm we couldn't see our van anymore, let alone what colour it was. We arrived just as the farmer was finishing feeding his Holstein cattle. After hollering back and forth with him across the farmyard, it was determined that a) he was somewhat surprised that we had walked all the way back to his farm as most people that got stuck out there had his phone number and would just call him; b) he couldn't imagine carrying a baby while walking such a distance; and c) he would help us get our van out.

It took the farmer's loader to pull us out of the muddy field and even it had trouble maneuvering in the "dry" field.

Perhaps I should have titled this post "Husband goes 4x4-ing with VAN; wear proper shoes".

Either way you may be wondering about the piece of property that started this whole adventure. It turns out that we weren't even on the right road. Maybe we'll find it another day.

2 comments:

Laura said...

oh Joelle......I must admit...I had quite the chuckle when I read this. You poor thing! I think I would have had to work really hard to keep any mean words from coming out of my mouth. :) But now we can laugh about it :) And you'll never do it again!

HOpe your next propery-searching adventure goes smoother :)

Joelle said...

Because I wasn't the one that got us stuck, I am able to laugh at the situation. I was slightly exasperated with my husband as he seems to only learn things the hard way but he has promised me he'll never do this again. I hope he is right.